For the past few months, I've been working on my nebula/galaxy string lanterns. Inspired by these galaxy lamps, I decided to make my own because the price was a bit much for my budget.
My choice of materials: acrylic, nail polish, water color, and glow in the dark paint.
My tools: a toothbrush, paintbrushes, push pins, toothpicks, Q-tips, old unwanted earrings, my fingers
I began the process really slowly and used watercolor as a foundation for where my colors would go. And then one by one, I caked on the nail polish and acrylic. Using nail polish has its benefits--a lot of nail polishes have a slight shimmer and they added to the glowy starry look of galaxies. I used a plain white nail polish + toothpicks to create the stars. The push pins, toothpicks, and earrings were used to poke holes into them. And the glittery nail polishes served as tiny minute stars. It adds a nice dimension to the lamps, I feel. I love the look of the lamps I was inspired by, but I wanted to give mine a personal touch. I'm honestly really tacky, so the glitter did quite well.
I added more depth by splattering on white stars with the toothbrush and brushes. And now I'm on my final step: the glow. I decided to further my own ~touch~ by adding glow in the dark paint on the stars.
Honestly, I'm nowhere near finished. It began while I was in school still, and I didn't have much time to work on it because I was so busy. Now that I have a bit more time, I feel it's picked up quite a bit of progress. At the moment, I'm smoothing out the colors, adding some stars and depth, poking more holes, adding on the glow and hoping to buy more lanterns so I can make some for friends and perhaps sell a few.

0 comments:
Post a Comment